Sunday, August 17, 2008

Shelter Island....Organic Farming!

I was fortunate enough to get up to Shelter Island this week for much needed sun and solitude. I stayed with a my friend Steven in a small cottage about 15 minutes walking from the beach.











Upon my arrival Steven threw together a delicious dinner salad, Sauteed yams and onions on a fresh bed of spinach and sliced avocado! Filled me up and was simple to make. After dancing all night on at a hotel beach with live bluegrass I hit the sack on a cool night.




The next day I hung out at the beach and then Steven and I got back on the Ferry to hit up the organic farms throughout Greenport.




The first place we got to was an organic heirloom tomato farm. The older woman couldn't have been more excited to teach me about the "ugly tomatoes". After scanning about 30 crates of the variety of heirlooms I ended up with 4 small tomatoes a green zebra, a favorite of mine because of its aesthetic appeal and tart flavor, a pink brandywine, a purple cherokee and what might have been a baby beefsteak.




Next we hit up the Organic Garden of Eden, where I met a really nice goat and the prettiest organic garlic I had seen all season....on my way!






We got to a great herb farm shortly after that boasted over 100 organic herbs. The place smelled like paradise and the sweet chubby gardner was happy to let me taste a variety of herbs including pineapple sage! Never had it before but she let me know that if you wash it enough the fuzzy texture wears down and can be used in salads.






I was more interested in the rosemary, even if I didn't need it for anything particular you can skin down the base and keep it in a mason jar with a little water and you get an organic air freshner. I also considered infusing the rosemary with olive oil to add a nice flavor to the tomato salad I had planned on making with the heirlooms.










Our last stop was at Fritz Lewin Farms where Steve claimed had the best homemade organic jams. There was only a few jars left and they were 8oz jars for $7, but I couldn't resist. I grabbed the strawberry.







Pysched with my purchases and adventures in organic farming I went home put some rosemary in a jar and dried out the pieces I had to cut down, popped open the strawberry jam, and ate half, with a spoon, right out of the jar....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i ate those tomatoes!